A Blended Burger Trail-“Blaiser”
Many know him from Bravo’s Top Chef, his podcast “Starving for Attention” or his best-selling cookbooks, but did you know that Richard Blais was also a pioneer of the blended burger?
The chef and restauranteur was one of the first culinary pros to create a blended burger by mixing mushrooms with meat. The result? The Earth & Turf Burger featuring a mushroom-beef burger topped with mushroom mayo and mushroom ketchup – nothing short of a mushroom masterpiece.
If you’re lucky enough to work in the food industry and are attending StarChefs Congress, be sure to stop by Mushroom Council’s booth to give the new burger a try (see the rest of our killer chef lineup below). If you’re a home cook like the rest of us, guess what? You can still try Richard Blais’ Blended Burger! We scored the recipe (below) so you can enjoy it from the comfort of your kitchen (sorry, Richard won’t be there to make it for you).
Mushroom Council + StarChefs Congress Lineup
- Sunday, Oct. 27, 11 am – 2 pm: Chef Richard Blais serving his original Blended Burger.
- Monday, Oct. 28, 11 am – 2pm: Chef John Sundstrom serving his Blended Niman Ranch Pork and Maitake Mushroom Burger.
- Monday, Oct. 28, 6 pm – 8 pm: Chef Kwame Williams serving his Beef-Oxtail-Crimini Mushroom Blended Burger.
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 11 am – 2 pm: Chefs Rachel and Tyler Sundet serving their Mushroom Reuben.
Richard Blais Blended Burger RecipePrint
- 5 pounds burger meat blend (80/20 meat to fat blend, equal parts dry aged short rib or brisket, chuck and sirloin)
- 5 pounds mushroom mix, ground (not chopped) – see instructions below
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, fresh cracked
- ½ tablespoon canola oil
- 10 brioche burger buns
- 2 tablespoon bone marrow fat, softened
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic
- 20 each slices American cheese
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 4 cups mustard
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup bread & butter pickles – see instructions below for homemade
- Fold bone marrow fat into butter and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix ground beef and ground mushrooms, form in patties.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix sliced yellow onions and yellow mustard, once evenly covered, cryovac onions and sous vide for 45 minutes at 88.6 C.
- Remove onions from bag and strain off any excess liquid.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium high heat and place onions and 1 tbsp canola oil and 1 tsp black pepper into pan.
- Cook onions, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes, until onions are softened throughout.
- Place burgers on a flat baking sheet and season liberally with kosher salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Heat a griddle over medium high heat and place burgers on hot griddle, giving light press on the top of the burger just enough to ensure the surface is touching the griddle.
- Bone marrow the inside of burger buns and place on griddle.
- Using the palm of your hand or side of your knife, smash 2 garlic cloves.
- Add smashed garlic and rosemary to griddle in between the burger patties and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Once burgers are browned on the bottom side, flip burger patties and top with American cheese. Remove from griddle and place on baking sheet to rest.
- Place burger buns back on griddle for 30 seconds, to soak up all the cooking juices and flavor the buns.
- Spread ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise on top of buns.
- Layer cooked onions on ketchup.
- Place cooked burger patties on top of onions and finish with bread and butter pickles and the top bun.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup bone marrow fat
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 ½ pounds crimini mushrooms
- 2 ½ pounds shiitake mushrooms
Sauté mushrooms in butter, bone marrow fat, garlic, shallot and thyme until they are cooked 55%-60% through, then grind through a medium die. Please do not blend or chop, they have to be ground.
- 2 pickling cucumbers, sliced
- ½ small white onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ jalapeno, seeds & stems removed
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- In a large colander toss the cucumber and onion with two tablespoons of salt and let stand 10 minutes.
- Rinse the cucumber and onion and drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar, remove from heat when dissolved. Add the cucumber and onion and let cool completely.
- Pour liquid over sliced cucumber, stir and store under refrigeration until needed.
- Transfer the pickles to a siphon and charge with two charges. Shake well and refrigerate for 20 minutes.