Registered Dietitian Recipe
These mushroom steaks are so savory and satisfying! Serve them as you would chicken fried steak–they will do your gravy proud!
- 2 portabella mushrooms, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (smoked salt or regular salt can be used)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper can be used)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (more if needed)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat air fryer to 375 F.
- Remove stems and cut each mushroom in half widthwise and lengthwise with serrated knife to make 4 cutlets per portabella. Add buttermilk to a medium mixing bowl and gently add the mushroom cutlets to coat well; set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and curry powder.
- Set a foil-lined pan under the air fryer basket then coat the top of the air fryer basket with canola oil using a silicon brush. Place the bowl with mushrooms next to the bowl with the flour mixture which is next to the air fryer basket. Then one by one (using a fork or your clean fingers) dip each mushroom cutlet thoroughly in the flour mixture then holding it above that bowl, coat each side generously with cooking spray and place it in the air fryer basket. Repeat with the rest of the mushroom cutlets.
- Cook in the air fryer until golden brown and lightly crispy (at least 10 minutes). Serve these with your favorite gravy and Southern sides, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 "steak"
- Calories: 134
- Sodium: 239 mg
- Fat: 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat: .5 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: .2 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg