Hearty mushrooms are blended with ground pork to create an easy taco filling that mimics the flavors of traditional al pastor. Each taco is topped with a sweet and tangy coleslaw made with pineapple and bits of spicy pickled jalapenos.
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup diced pineapple
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon diced pickled jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Add the mushrooms to a food processor. Pulse in 10 second intervals until the mushrooms are finely chopped into pieces of similar size.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook until they just begin to soften, 2 minutes. Add the pork. Continue to cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink and cooked completely through. Turn off the heat. All liquid should evaporate. If it doesn’t, drain the blend.
- Stir in the pineapple juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and black pepper. Return the heat to medium and cook for 1 more minute, stirring often.
- To make the slaw, stir together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- For each taco, top a warm tortilla with the al pastor mushroom and pork blend. Top with some slaw before serving.