- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stick celery, chopped
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms (baby bella, shiitake, etc.)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2–3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 rotisseries chicken, skin and bones removed and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Italian parsley, chopped, to garnish
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat warm the olive oil. Add onion, carrots, celery, and large pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables just start to soften. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until soft. Then, pour chicken broth over vegetables and add sprigs of thyme and shredded chicken. Simmer uncovered.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. In another small bowl combine the milk and egg. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just barely combined. Fold in the melted butter.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the chicken soup, leaving as much space around the dumplings as possible, as they will puff up. Cover the pot and cook for 18-20 minutes over low heat, or until the dumplings are cooked through. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve warm.