There is nothing quite as satisfying as classic stuffed mushrooms and this recipe has it all. Zesty sausage is combined with creamy cheese in a simple appetizer for your next party or a delicious addition to any meal.
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms (about 14 larger mushrooms)
- ½ pound pork or turkey sausage
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Small or chopped basil leaves for garnish
- Remove the mushroom stems and pulse in food processor until finely chopped (you can also chop by hand). Spray a baking dish large enough to hold all the mushrooms, about 8-by-10-inches, with non-stick cooking spray. Place the mushroom caps upside down in a baking dish.
- Cook the chopped mushrooms and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Break it up into small pieces as it cooks. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cream cheese until melted, about 2 minutes. Add the panko bread crumbs and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined. Add 1 tablespoon of Parmesan and the salt. Stir well. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Fill each mushroom cap with an equal amount of the sausage stuffing, mounding it high over the mushroom. Bake for 25 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and the mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of Parmesan over the mushrooms just as you pull them out of the oven. Garnish with basil before serving.
Cooking time: 10 minutes | Baking time: 25 minutes