Sautéed mushrooms make a basic egg sandwich more delicious and filling! In this recipe, toasted sourdough is topped with mushrooms, onions, and a fried egg. A few sprigs of arugula add an earthy, peppery touch of flavor.
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ large yellow onion, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough, toasted
- 4 large eggs, fried to your preferences
- ½ cup arugula leaves
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cook until it softens and just begins to show signs of browning, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned and tender, and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- For each sandwich, top the bottom slice of toasted bread with mushrooms and onions. Place an egg over the mushrooms. Add a few leaves of arugula and add the top slice of bread. Serve warm.