A flaky pastry crust is filled with seasoned eggs, fresh asparagus, creamy goat cheese and a roasted medley of mushrooms. The use of pre-made puff pastry makes this tart easy to put together for a weekend lunch or quick appetizer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mixed mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, oyster)
- one 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in refrigerator
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tablespoon Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2–3 ounces softened goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 15 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled (for topping)
- In a large pan add olive oil. Cook mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes, or until moisture has been released.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out both pastry sheets. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Fold over edges all around pastry sheet to make a raised crust.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, softened goat cheese and milk. Divide mixture between both pastry crusts.
- Place asparagus spears across the top of egg mixture. Spoon cooked mushrooms over asparagus. Crumble remaining goat cheese evenly over entire tart. If desired, brush the crust with egg wash*.
- Bake tart for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set, asparagus is tender, and crust is golden.
Serve warm or cooled.
*Tip: Brushing the crust with an egg wash will produce a nicely browned crust with a slightly glossy finish. To make egg wash simply whisk together 1 (one) large egg and 1 tablespoon of water until frothy. Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash to crust.