Make a simple stir-fried “hash” of mushrooms, kale and potatoes, topped with poached eggs for a “meaty” vegetarian breakfast bursting with flavor.
Recipe courtesy of Tastespotting.
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed (not rubbed), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound small crimini mushrooms (or “baby bellas”)
- 1 large bunch kale, washed and chopped
- olive oil for cooking
- pinch each of dried basil, oregano and crushed chili peppers
- about 4–5 sprigs fresh parsley, leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs, poached (or fried)
- Bring a medium pot of water with about a teaspoon of salt to boil. Add the potatoes and cook until just before completely done, about 10 minutes. Drain water.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in large frying pan. Add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft. Add cooker potatoes, turn up hat and cook until potatoes are crisped and brown.
- Add mushrooms, kale, herbs/spices and more oil if needed. Stir-fry until cooked through, about another 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls, each topped with 2 poached eggs. Sprinkle with pepper and chopped fresh parsley.
- Calories: 530
- Fat: 49 grams
- Saturated Fat: 27 grams
- Carbohydrates: 21 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 19 grams
- Cholesterol: 37 miligrams