Rich oyster mushrooms are combined with creamy ricotta and sweet cherry tomatoes in these bite-size toasts. The microgreens sprinkled on top add a burst of refreshing lemon flavor that balances the pleasant earthiness of the mushrooms for an appetizer or snack that is both beautifully presented and delicious.
- 2/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup multi-colored small cherry tomatoes (about 20 tomatoes)
- ¾ cup microgreens
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons peppery finishing olive oil such as Arbequina
- 10 slices baguette, lightly toasted
- Stir together the ricotta, chives, 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the toasts.
- Heat the 2 ½ tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 90 seconds, stirring often. It will brown a bit in the oil as it softens. Add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms darken and shrink. Add the tomatoes, continue to cook stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to burst and the mushrooms are tender. If you have some larger tomatoes mixed in, pricking them with a fork will help them to burst.
- Remove from the heat and stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Transfer the microgreens to a small bowl. Toss with the lemon juice, finishing olive oil, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt.