Rather than tossing mushrooms into your next pasta, infuse them directly into your sauce with this versatile recipe from Bell’Alimento.
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 8 ounces whole baby bella mushrooms, stems removed and minced, mushroom caps quartered
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- Place a large pot of generously salted water onto boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water. Drain pasta. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and minced mushroom stems. Cook for approximately 5-6 until softened. Stir as necessary.
- Add mushroom caps, cream and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add cheese and drained pasta. Stir to combine. If sauce is too thick add some of the reserved pasta water.
- Garnish with additional cheese if desired.