Slow cookers make preparing dinners like this chili a breeze and reduces the amount of added fat or oil.
- 8 ounces fresh crimini mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef, crumbled
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Combine the mushroom mixture, ground beef, green pepper, red pepper and beans in a slow cooker.
- Stir the diced tomatoes with the tomato paste, chili powder, seasoning blend, cumin and salt until well combined. Pour the tomato mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 10 hours.
Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onion and serve with tortilla chips or in a bread bowl for a fun and tasty dinner.