Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounces trumpet mushrooms, about 2
- 4 sprigs of thyme, plus extra for garnish
- Fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- To make the brown butter, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the butter in the pan as it begins to foam and continue to cook about 2 to 3 minutes. When brown specks start to appear in the butter remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Slice the mushroom into 1-inch thick rounds, for 12 total mushroom scallops.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the thyme sprigs and stir them around the flavor the butter.
- Add the mushroom scallops. Spoon half of the brown butter over the scallops and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. Flip and spoon the remaining brown butter over the top of each. Cook 3 to 5 more minutes, until tender.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme leaves before serving.