All the comforting flavors of lasagna with less work! Lasagna soup is packed with selenium superstars crimini mushrooms (38% DV), vitamin C-rich tomatoes (40% DV) and spinach (44% DV), and al dente lasagna noodles. Add protein with a dollop of ricotta (5g per ¼ cup serving) and a sprinkle of mozzarella — you’ve got yourself a delicious, nutrient-dense (yet still oozing with cheesy goodness) weeknight meal!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 6 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella for topping
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, garlic, onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions and mushrooms have softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add marinara, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, basil, salt, oregano, pepper, bay leaf and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add lasagna noodles and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf.
- Stir in the heavy cream and spinach until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Divide between bowls and top with a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkle of mozzarella.
Recipe courtesy of Emily Weeks, RDN, LD.