This classic Egg Drop Soup is easy and tastes even better than the restaurant version.
Recipe courtesy of American Egg Board.
- 1 gallon chicken broth
- 14 ounces egg whites* (12 eggs)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces (2 cups) trimmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In stock pot over medium heat, bring chicken broth to a simmer. Slowly stir in egg whites. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through until whites are thoroughly cooked.
- To serve, portion about 1/2 ounce shiitakes, 2 teaspoons green onions and 1 teaspoon cilantro into a soup bowl. Pour 1 1/2 cups eggs and broth into each bowl. Serve immediately.
*If using frozen or liquid egg white product.
Do not let uncooked egg mixture remain at room temperature for longer than one hour (including preparation and service time).