Debbie, of the Mountain Kitchen, makes-over her original Sloppy Joe recipe with mushrooms, for a great vegetarian alternative.
Recipe courtesy of Debbie of The Mountain Kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons pickled jalapenos, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pounds portabella mushrooms, chopped (half finely chopped and half coarsely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons pickled jalapeno juice
- one 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Slider rolls
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic to oil and heat until fragrant (do NOT brown), about 30 seconds. Add onion and red bell pepper to the skillet and sauté until onions and bell pepper are tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the jalapenos and tomato paste. Cook 2-3 minutes more, stirring occasionally, allowing the paste to brown in the bottom of the pan.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet and allow them to cook about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm rolls in the oven for about 5-10 minutes, then slice open and spoon the spicy sloppy mushroom mixture onto each bun and serve.