Lamb and Mushroom Blended Meatballs with Spiced Cucumber Yogurt Dipping Sauce
These party meatballs stay juicy by using a blend of lamb and mushrooms. Inspired by the filling of dolmas, they are loaded with aromatic fresh herbs, and rice adds tenderness to each bite. The simple dipping sauce offers a tangy twist for an appetizer that is sure to disappear quickly!
- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cooked long grain rice, cooled
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Cucumber Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 small Persian cucumber, chopped (about 5 inches long)
- 1 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- To make the meatballs, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the lamb, mushrooms, and rice to a large bowl. Use clean or gloved hands to mix well.
- Place the pine nuts, onion, garlic, mint, parsley, and lemon juice in a small food processor or single serve blender cup. Puree until all ingredients are finally chopped. Transfer the blenders contents into the bowl with the meat and mushrooms.
- Add the salt and pepper. Stir all ingredients well to combine. Form into golfball-size balls to make 14 meatballs. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
- While the meatballs bake, make the dipping sauce. Place all sauce ingredients in a small food processor or single serve blender. Puree until smooth and the vegetables are very finely chopped. Pour into a small bowl and serve alongside the meatballs for dipping or drizzling.
If you like this, try these:
One of our most flavorful burgers yet! Combine Mexican chorizo, beef and mushrooms for an umami-packed burger.view Recipe
Put a spin on a fast food fave by incorporating a blend of ground beef and crimini mushrooms to take the flavor to the next level.
Cheesy, spicy, and savory queso using The Blend!view Recipe