Lamb and Mushroom Blended Meatballs with Spiced Cucumber Yogurt Dipping Sauce
These party meatballs stay juicy by using a blend of lamb and mushrooms. Inspired by the filling of dolmas, they are loaded with aromatic fresh herbs, and rice adds tenderness to each bite. The simple dipping sauce offers a tangy twist for an appetizer that is sure to disappear quickly!
- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cooked long grain rice, cooled
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Cucumber Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 small Persian cucumber, chopped (about 5 inches long)
- 1 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- To make the meatballs, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the lamb, mushrooms, and rice to a large bowl. Use clean or gloved hands to mix well.
- Place the pine nuts, onion, garlic, mint, parsley, and lemon juice in a small food processor or single serve blender cup. Puree until all ingredients are finally chopped. Transfer the blenders contents into the bowl with the meat and mushrooms.
- Add the salt and pepper. Stir all ingredients well to combine. Form into golfball-size balls to make 14 meatballs. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
- While the meatballs bake, make the dipping sauce. Place all sauce ingredients in a small food processor or single serve blender. Puree until smooth and the vegetables are very finely chopped. Pour into a small bowl and serve alongside the meatballs for dipping or drizzling.
If you like this, try these:
Make better-tasting breakfast sausage from scratch by adding the nutrition and flavor of sauteed mushrooms with this recipe from Serena Ball, MS, RD.view Recipe
Hearty mushrooms are blended with ground pork to create an easy taco filling that mimics the flavors of traditional al pastor.view Recipe
These party meatballs stay juicy by using a blend of lamb and mushrooms. Inspired by the filling of dolmas, they are loaded with aromatic fresh herbs, and rice adds tenderness to each bite. The simple dipping sauce offers a tangy twist for an appetizer that is sure to disappear quickly!view Recipe