Rather than tossing mushrooms into your next pasta, infuse them directly into your sauce with this versatile recipe from Bell’alimento.
This creamy mushroom sauce is a mushroom lover’s dream sauce, but it’s also a cook’s dream since it comes together in about 10 minutes time and is incredibly versatile. Similar to the texture of alfredo, it’s best served over any long pasta you have on hand such as pappardelle or egg noodles. It’s simply a perfect sauce to have in your repertoire.
The sauce is not only delicious tossed with perfectly cooked al dente pasta; it’s fantastic as a topping for pork chops or chicken. Don’t forget the bread because you’ll want to sop up every drop of this creamy concoction.
Baby bella mushrooms add an earthy undertone to the sauce but feel free to substitute white buttons or your favorite mushroom variety.
Versatile and delicious? Yes please.
Pasta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
1 pound pappardelle pasta
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ onion – minced
1 clove garlic – smashed
8 ounces whole baby bella mushrooms – stems removed and minced, mushroom caps quartered
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese – grated
- Place a large pot of generously salted water onto boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water. Drain pasta. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and minced mushroom stems. Cook for approximately 5-6 until softened. Stir as necessary.
- Add mushroom caps, cream and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add cheese and drained pasta. Stir to combine. If sauce is too thick add some of the reserved pasta water.
- Garnish with additional cheese if desired.