Asian Mushroom Matzo Ball Soup
Matzo ball soup is a traditional Passover dish made with a rich stock, tons of vegetables and hearty matzo dumplings, with a little mushroom love.
Recipe courtesy of Amy of What Jew Wanna Eat.
- 10 cups stock
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup matzo meal
- ¼ cup green onions, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup shiitake mushrooms, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup carrots, julienne
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 6 lime wedges
- First, make your matzo balls. In a medium bowl, whisk ½ cup of stock with eggs. Then mix in matzo meal, green onions, minced shiitake mushrooms, minced cilantro, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Since the dough will be sticky, refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook, form matzo meal concoction into about fourteen 1-inch balls.
- Now, make your soup. Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add matzo balls. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes until matzo balls puff up and are cooked through.
- In a separate stockpot, add remaining broth, ginger, balsamic vinegar, carrots and mushrooms and simmer for 10-15 minutes until flavors meld and carrots and mushrooms are cooked.
- Add matzo balls to the soup and serve with jalapeno, cilantro, green onions and lime as garnish!
If you like this, try these:
Rich oyster mushrooms are combined with creamy ricotta and sweet cherry tomatoes in these bite-size toasts. The microgreens sprinkled on top add a burst of refreshing lemon flavor that balances the pleasant earthiness of the mushrooms for an appetizer or snack that is both beautifully presented and delicious.view Recipe
This recipe provides a meat-free twist on the traditional Korean dish. Finely chopped enoki mushrooms absorb the sweet and savory flavors of the marinade and pair well with the combination sautéed greens and crisp fresh cucumber to create a filling meal.view Recipe