Asian Mushroom Matzo Ball Soup
Matzo ball soup is a traditional Passover dish made with a rich stock, tons of vegetables and hearty matzo dumplings, with a little mushroom love.
Recipe courtesy of Amy of What Jew Wanna Eat.
- 10 cups stock
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup matzo meal
- ¼ cup green onions, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup shiitake mushrooms, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup carrots, julienne
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 6 lime wedges
- First, make your matzo balls. In a medium bowl, whisk ½ cup of stock with eggs. Then mix in matzo meal, green onions, minced shiitake mushrooms, minced cilantro, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Since the dough will be sticky, refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook, form matzo meal concoction into about fourteen 1-inch balls.
- Now, make your soup. Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add matzo balls. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes until matzo balls puff up and are cooked through.
- In a separate stockpot, add remaining broth, ginger, balsamic vinegar, carrots and mushrooms and simmer for 10-15 minutes until flavors meld and carrots and mushrooms are cooked.
- Add matzo balls to the soup and serve with jalapeno, cilantro, green onions and lime as garnish!
If you like this, try these:
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe