Broiled Top Sirloin Steak with Sautéed Maitake and Shiitake Mushrooms
This steak is simple to make and comes together in minutes. Despite the ease of preparation, there is nothing better to serve for a special occasion. Tender sirloin is topped with a delicious blend of maitake and shiitake mushrooms that have been sautéed in butter. It is quite the treat that is sure to impress friends and family.
- 1 pound top sirloin steaks, about 1 ½ inches thick
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces maitake mushrooms
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Chopped herbs for garnish
- Preheat the broiler to high, 500 degrees F, with the top rack of the oven about 6 inches from the heat source. Sprinkle both sides of the steaks generously with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they reach an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees F for medium.
- While the steaks cook, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Trim the toughest part of the stems from the maitakes and gently pull them apart into smaller pieces. Add the maitake mushrooms and shitake mushrooms to the butter. Cook, stirring often for about 3 minutes, until softened.
- Sprinkle in the oregano and thyme. Remove from the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of butter. Stir until it is melted. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or an amount to meet your tastes.
- Once the steaks rest for about 3 minutes, top with the mushrooms and spoon any remaining butter over the meat. Sprinkle with chopped herbs and slice the meat to serve.
If you like this, try these:
With meaty shiitake mushrooms, this healthy vegetarian power bowl with a tahini drizzle will give you loads of energy.view Recipe
These bowls use a blend of mushrooms and lean ground bison for a satisfying meal. Paired with grains and fresh vegetables, the dish is full of shawarma spices that are cooled by a tangy yogurt tahini sauce.view Recipe
This recipe uses a blend of lean ground turkey and white button mushrooms to create a hearty filling for tender sweet potatoes. Skip the oven and simply microwave the potatoes until tender for a quick dinner. Pair with a simple salad for a meal.view Recipe