Chili Con CriminiPrint
It’s fall. It’s football season. And it’s the ideal time for chili. Lucky for us, Chef Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN, is sharing her mushroom lovers’ chili recipe perfect for a fall gathering.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN.
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon unrefined peanut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, with some seeds, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons aged red wine vinegar
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- one 14.5-ounce can crushed roasted tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1¼ teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- two 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In two batches, add the mushrooms to a food processor. Cover and pulse until finely chopped, but not mushy. Alternatively, finely chop mushrooms using a chef’s knife.
- Heat the oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and sauté until the mushrooms are cooked through and onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and vinegar and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and cinnamon and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes. Stir in the beans and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency, about 12 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Spoon chili into bowls, top with the remaining cilantro, and serve.
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Sodium: 690 milligrams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
If you like this, try these:
These Lasagna Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms require less than 10 ingredients and are ready in 20 minutes, making this the perfect weeknight recipe.view Recipe
Breakfast is easy and flavorful with this nutrient-packed Grilled Portabella Mushroom Egg Scramble from Hannah Christina.view Recipe