Chili Con CriminiPrint
It’s fall. It’s football season. And it’s the ideal time for chili. Lucky for us, Chef Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN, is sharing her mushroom lovers’ chili recipe perfect for a fall gathering.
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon unrefined peanut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, with some seeds, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons aged red wine vinegar
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- one 14.5-ounce can crushed roasted tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1¼ teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- two 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In two batches, add the mushrooms to a food processor. Cover and pulse until finely chopped, but not mushy. Alternatively, finely chop mushrooms using a chef’s knife.
- Heat the oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and sauté until the mushrooms are cooked through and onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and vinegar and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and cinnamon and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes. Stir in the beans and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency, about 12 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Spoon chili into bowls, top with the remaining cilantro, and serve.
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Sodium: 690 milligrams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
If you like this, try these:
This recipe provides a meat-free twist on the traditional Korean dish. Finely chopped enoki mushrooms absorb the sweet and savory flavors of the marinade and pair well with the combination sautéed greens and crisp fresh cucumber to create a filling meal.view Recipe
A flavorful mix of crimini, shiitake, and white button mushrooms are sautéed in a crisp, dry white wine before they are layered on the pizza with mozzarella cheese.view Recipe