Cream of Mushroom Soup
Warm up with this umami-rich cream of mushroom soup.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Billy Parisi.
- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 small stalks of celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 pint of button mushrooms
- 1 pint of baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup of shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 cups of oyster mushrooms, stems removed
- ¼ cup of flour
- 1 cup chardonnay
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme leaves, shredded for garnish
- Parmesan, for garnish
- In a large pot on high heat render the bacon fat until the bacon lardons become crispy.
- Remove the bacon and add in onions, celery and garlic and saute for 8 to 10 minutes over medium-high heat or until lightly browned.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it is completely mixed in. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and cook until it is almost gone.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil until it becomes thick.
- Puree the mushroom soup until smooth with a hand blender or a regular blender.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and finish with the heavy cream, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with croutons, crispy bacon lardons, fresh thyme and Parmesan.
If you like this, try these:
All the comforting flavors of lasagna with less work! Lasagna soup is packed with crimini mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and lasagna noodles.view Recipe
This easy soup is loaded with hearty oyster mushrooms and filling potatoes. The broth is smooth and buttery, but not too heavy making it a great option for a light lunch.view Recipe