Easy Mushroom Soup
This simple, delicious recipe is made without cream or milk. A mix of butter and flour thicken chicken stock to create a velvety soup without being too heavy. The combination of crimini and white button mushrooms add earthy notes that work well with the rich broth.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Sliced sautéed mushrooms for garnish, optional
- Chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pot such as a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallot, cook for 1 minute, until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, until tender and browned. Transfer all the contents of the pot to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot. Once melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk it quickly into a paste. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the stock a little at a time, whisking out the clumps between each addition.
- Increase the heat back to medium-high and allow the soup to simmer well for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms back to the pot and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. The stock will thicken slightly to be somewhat creamy.
- Let cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with mushrooms and parsley, if desired.
If you like this, try these:
Southern comfort at its finest. Explore the rich flavors of this southern-inspired recipe featuring hearty mushrooms, created by @cara_melized.view Recipe
All the comforting flavors of lasagna with less work! Lasagna soup is packed with crimini mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and lasagna noodles.view Recipe