Easy Mushroom Soup
This simple, delicious recipe is made without cream or milk. A mix of butter and flour thicken chicken stock to create a velvety soup without being too heavy. The combination of crimini and white button mushrooms add earthy notes that work well with the rich broth.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Sliced sautéed mushrooms for garnish, optional
- Chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pot such as a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallot, cook for 1 minute, until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, until tender and browned. Transfer all the contents of the pot to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot. Once melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk it quickly into a paste. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the stock a little at a time, whisking out the clumps between each addition.
- Increase the heat back to medium-high and allow the soup to simmer well for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms back to the pot and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. The stock will thicken slightly to be somewhat creamy.
- Let cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with mushrooms and parsley, if desired.
If you like this, try these:
All the comforting flavors of lasagna with less work! Lasagna soup is packed with crimini mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and lasagna noodles.view Recipe
This easy soup is loaded with hearty oyster mushrooms and filling potatoes. The broth is smooth and buttery, but not too heavy making it a great option for a light lunch.view Recipe