Fingerling Potato and Mushroom Poutine
Skip the fries and try this healthier twist on poutine. Steamed fingerling potatoes are covered in a savory gravy made with sliced white button mushrooms and dotted with creamy cheese curds. If you can’t find packaged cheese curds, cut some of your favorite cheese into small cubes or use fresh mozzarella balls, sometimes called mozzarella pearls.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra for potatoes
- 8 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste, plus extra for potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds yellow fingerling potatoes, steamed until tender
- 4 ounces cheese curds
- Sliced scallions for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms. Cook until they just begin to darken around the edges, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. Push all of the mushrooms to one side of the skillet. Add the butter and swirl it around the pan to melt.
- Once melted, add the flour and whisk vigorously in the pan until a crumbly paste forms. Continue to whisk as you add the chicken stock, a little at a time. Whisk well to ensure all clumps dissolve into the gravy and begin to work the mushrooms into the gravy as you stir. Increase the heat to medium-low. Let sit and simmer for about 1 minute, until the gravy thickens. Stir in the black pepper and salt.
- Add the warm potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt, just to barely season them. Transfer them to a serving platter.
- Cover with the mushroom gravy and top with cheese curds. Sprinkle with scallions before serving.
If you like this, try these:
Portabella mushrooms make a delicious vegan taco filling in this recipe developed by Carlene Thomas, RD.view Recipe
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe