Green Bean Casserole
Create A List
Make a list for the store or order online.
16 ounces green beans, rinsed, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup store-bought fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a large pot, boil the green beans in salted water for 3-5 minutes until tender yet crisp. You may have to do this in batches. Drain then transfer them to a 13×9 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter at medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining butter at medium heat. Once melted, whisk in flour to form a roux, about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cream. Stir in smoked paprika, garlic powder, thyme sprigs, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the mushrooms back in and stir to combine with the sauce. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Pour the mixture over the green beans in the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes then remove the baking dish from the oven, remove the foil, and then bake uncovered for another 10 minutes. Top the casserole with fried onions. Serve and enjoy!