Herby Mushroom Quinoa
Shop for Ingredients
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 1 cup (185 g) quinoa, rinsed and cleaned
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 500 g (1.1 lbs.) white button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Marsala wine (optional)
- 200–300 g (7–10.5 oz.) extra firm tofu, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 5–6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 F or 200 C on convection.
- In a medium sauce pot, combine quinoa and water or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover partially and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat, cover fully and set aside for 10 minutes before fluffing.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms. Allow them to cook without stirring for 2 minutes. Sauté for an additional 5-6 minutes until the mushrooms have browned and have crispy edges. Pour in the Marsala wine and cook for another 2 minutes, allowing it to reduce.
- Push the mushrooms to one side of the pan. Add the tofu, garlic, onion, celery, zucchini, sage and rosemary. Sauté for 2 minutes, then gradually mix everything together.
- Spread the cooked quinoa over the sautéed mixture, ensuring an even layer. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, allowing the quinoa to toast slightly. Remove from the oven. Stir in the freshly chopped parsley and green onions, season to taste and serve either warm or cold. Enjoy!