Hummus Toast with Marinated Mushrooms
For this tasty toast, hummus is topped with tangy marinated mushrooms for a hearty and filling meal. Your mushrooms will need to marinate for at least four hours to absorb maximum flavor and become pleasantly tender, but feel free to let them soak in the dressing for up to 12 hours for even more intensity. You can make them the night before to enjoy the toast for breakfast, or prep them first thing in the morning for lunch.
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 slices toasted bread
- ½ cup plain hummus
- 2 tablespoons diced black olives
- 2 tablespoons diced green olives
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Small, or chopped, oregano leaves for garnish
- Place the mushrooms in a medium bowl with a lid. Pour in the olive oil and added the garlic, shallot, oregano, and sea salt. Stir well to coat the mushrooms in the oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus over each slice of toast. Layer mushrooms over the hummus. Sprinkle each serving with an equal amount of black olives, green olives, and feta. Garnish with oregano leaves before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating time.
If you like this, try these:
Portabella mushrooms transform into an easy-to-make, craveable snack with this jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN.view Recipe
Flavorful black beans, quinoa, spicy peppers and onions are stuffed into large mushroom caps to make this delicious weeknight meal.view Recipe