Hummus Toast with Marinated Mushrooms
For this tasty toast, hummus is topped with tangy marinated mushrooms for a hearty and filling meal. Your mushrooms will need to marinate for at least four hours to absorb maximum flavor and become pleasantly tender, but feel free to let them soak in the dressing for up to 12 hours for even more intensity. You can make them the night before to enjoy the toast for breakfast, or prep them first thing in the morning for lunch.
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 slices toasted bread
- ½ cup plain hummus
- 2 tablespoons diced black olives
- 2 tablespoons diced green olives
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Small, or chopped, oregano leaves for garnish
- Place the mushrooms in a medium bowl with a lid. Pour in the olive oil and added the garlic, shallot, oregano, and sea salt. Stir well to coat the mushrooms in the oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus over each slice of toast. Layer mushrooms over the hummus. Sprinkle each serving with an equal amount of black olives, green olives, and feta. Garnish with oregano leaves before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating time.
If you like this, try these:
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe