Kale and Basil Pesto Zoodles with Mushrooms
These zoodles are full of bold flavors and they are ideal for a light lunch or dinner. They can stand as a meal on their own, or serve them as a side with grilled fish or chicken.
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- ¼ cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1 ½ pounds) cut into zoodles
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Place the kale, basil, and 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a small food processor or the cup of a single serving blender. Pulse in 10 second intervals until all ingredients are combined and the kale is finely chopped.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and the ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Pulse in 10 second intervals until all ingredients are finely chopped and transform into a thick dressing.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, just until the being to soften. Add the zoodles and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, just until they begin to become tender.
- Pour in the pesto and cook for 1 more minute to heat all ingredients. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and season with any addition salt to taste before serving.
If you like this, try these:
Portabella mushrooms transform into an easy-to-make, craveable snack with this jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN.view Recipe
Flavorful black beans, quinoa, spicy peppers and onions are stuffed into large mushroom caps to make this delicious weeknight meal.view Recipe