A vegetarian twist on the classic meat filled Bolognese recipe. Thick and hearty, even your biggest carnivore will love this sauce. This is a great way to get more veggies into your meals.
Recipe courtesy of Kellie from The Suburban Soapbox.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium vidalia onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, chopped(white mushrooms will work, also)
- 5 ounce shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 28 ounce can tomato puree
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for additional seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, plus more for additional seasoning
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot. Add the onions to the olive oil and sauté until they begin to soften. Add the carrots and celery and continue to sauté another 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano, bay leaf, tomato paste and wine and allow the liquid to reduce by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil and then turn the heat down to low. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite pasta.
Sauce can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days in the refrigerator or up to 60 days in the freezer.
If you like this, try these:
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe