Mushroom Crepes with Gruyere Béchamel Sauce
This savory crepe is satisfyingly delicious.
Recipe courtesy of Chez Us.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups packed spinach, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 crepes*
- Fresh thyme sprigs, as garnish – optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place a large frying pan over medium low heat and add the olive oil. Once slightly warmed add the yellow onion. Stir and cook until soft; about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dried thyme. Stir again. Lower heat to the lowest setting on your stove.
- Place 3/4 of the mushrooms into a food processor and finely chop. Slice the remaining 1/4 of the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms to the onion/garlic mixture and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the spinach and cook just until wilted over medium low heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the butter into a medium saucepan over low heat and melt. Whisk in the flour, then slowly pour in the milk. Stir over medium low heat until slightly thickened.
- Add the cheese, continue whisking until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place a crepe into a baking dish and fill with some of the mushroom filling, roll up, and then repeat. You can place the crepes into individual baking dishes or a large baking dish.
- Drizzle with some the gruyere béchamel sauce.
*Crepes can be homemade or they can be found pre-made at the grocery store.
Optional: Garnish crepes with a sprig of fresh thyme. Bake for 15 – 25 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and lightly golden. Serve. Eat.
- Serving Size: 4
If you like this, try these:
Shiitake mushrooms and black beans combine to make a veg-friendly, flavor-filled patty everyone will love.view Recipe
This sautéed mushroom pate from @lucimorsels is delicious on toast and so easy to make!