Mushroom Crepes with Gruyere Béchamel Sauce
This savory crepe is satisfyingly delicious.
Recipe courtesy of Chez Us.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups packed spinach, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 crepes*
- Fresh thyme sprigs, as garnish – optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place a large frying pan over medium low heat and add the olive oil. Once slightly warmed add the yellow onion. Stir and cook until soft; about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dried thyme. Stir again. Lower heat to the lowest setting on your stove.
- Place 3/4 of the mushrooms into a food processor and finely chop. Slice the remaining 1/4 of the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms to the onion/garlic mixture and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the spinach and cook just until wilted over medium low heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the butter into a medium saucepan over low heat and melt. Whisk in the flour, then slowly pour in the milk. Stir over medium low heat until slightly thickened.
- Add the cheese, continue whisking until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place a crepe into a baking dish and fill with some of the mushroom filling, roll up, and then repeat. You can place the crepes into individual baking dishes or a large baking dish.
- Drizzle with some the gruyere béchamel sauce.
*Crepes can be homemade or they can be found pre-made at the grocery store.
Optional: Garnish crepes with a sprig of fresh thyme. Bake for 15 – 25 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and lightly golden. Serve. Eat.
- Serving Size: 4
If you like this, try these:
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe