- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5 large baby bella mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 large shiitakes, stemmed and sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and dried shiitakes. Cook until onions have softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half of the fresh sliced mushrooms and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook until the mushrooms begin to turn golden brown.
- Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook 3-4 minutes until liquid has reduced.
- Add the thyme sprigs and 2 3/4 cups of stock, reserving the remaining 1/4 cup in a small bowl. Bring stock and mushrooms to a steady simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid has reduced slightly.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the thyme and the fresh and dried mushrooms from the liquid.
- Add the flour to the reserved stock and whisk until smooth. Pour the flour mixture into the stock mixture, stirring constantly until smooth. Cook on a low simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the gravy has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in another skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining fresh mushrooms, season with a pinch of salt and cook until mushrooms are golden brown. Add them to the gravy.
- Season the gravy with salt, pepper and the apple cider vinegar. When seasonings are adjusted, add the last tablespoon of butter and stir until melted.
If you like this, try these:
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe