Mushroom Lentil MeatballsPrint
These vegan mushroom lentil meatballs are perfect for a party appetizer, paired with pasta for a simple dinner or as a meatball sub for a tasty summer lunch.
- 1/2 cup dried brown or green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 8 ounces baby bella or crimini mushroom
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans (or other white bean)
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or tamari or soy sauce)
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine lentils, bay leaf, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 10-12 minutes or until nearly all the liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine ground flaxseed and 1/4 cup warm water. Stir and set aside to gel and form 2 flax eggs.
- In a food processor, combine mushrooms, oats, beans, parsley, oregano, red pepper flakes, thyme, and rosemary. Add lentils and flax eggs and pulse until mixture is combined and well chopped.
- In empty saucepan, combine olive oil, onions, salt and pepper. Cook on medium-high heat until translucent and beginning to caramelize (about 8-10 minutes). Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add vinegar and coconut aminos and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine lentil mixture and onions. Let cool for a few minutes before handling.
- Roll mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue until all mixture is used up. Recipe makes 2 dozen meatballs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are a deep golden brown and the inside is cooked through.
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 25 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
If you like this, try these:
This recipe provides a meat-free twist on the traditional Korean dish. Finely chopped enoki mushrooms absorb the sweet and savory flavors of the marinade and pair well with the combination sautéed greens and crisp fresh cucumber to create a filling meal.view Recipe
A flavorful mix of crimini, shiitake, and white button mushrooms are sautéed in a crisp, dry white wine before they are layered on the pizza with mozzarella cheese.view Recipe