This minestrone is spiked with loads of dried herbs, beautiful and colorful rainbow chard, cannellini beans for some heftiness and lots of mushrooms.
Recipe courtesy of Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled diced
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced Salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan-Reggiano
- one 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 3 leaves of rainbow chard, ribs removed and leaves roughly chopped
- one 15-ounce can cannellini beans
- 8 crimini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- In a medium pot, set over medium heat, pour in the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the diced yellow onion, carrots, celery and a few pinches of salt; mix and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, dried thyme and rosemary and mix until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in the can of tomatoes, water and give it a good mix.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and then immediately turn the heat down to low. Mix in the rainbow chard and cannelloni beans. Cover the soup and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Uncover the pot, add the crimini mushrooms, cooking for an additional 10 minutes. Salt to taste (I added an additional 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt).
- Mix in the grated Parmesan and divide the soup amongst bowls. Garnish with some additional Parmesan, if you like, and serve with a side of bread.
If you like this, try these:
Shiitake mushrooms and black beans combine to make a veg-friendly, flavor-filled patty everyone will love.view Recipe
This sautéed mushroom pate from @lucimorsels is delicious on toast and so easy to make!