Mushroom Pâté on Crusty Artisan BreadPrint
Traditional pâté is typically made with ground, cooked meat and fat minced or blended into a spreadable paste. This take on a mushroom version reduces the amount of saturated fat and showcases the earthy and velvety characteristics of these friendly fungi.
Recipe courtesy of Ashley of The Fresh Beet.
For the Pâté:
- 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, diced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk, low fat/fat free
- 1/8 teaspoon salt + 1/4 tsp pepper
For the Sandwich:
- Slices of bread from any fresh artisan loaf
- Mixed greens (baby kale and spinach)
- Roasted red peppers, jarred
- Thinly sliced onion
- Heat a medium sauté pan to medium heat and add butter. Sauté shallot, mushroom and garlic, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add vinegar and cook until soft, and until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add mushroom mixture to blender or food processor. Add milk and blend until puréed. Set aside. Using the same pan you used to cook the mushrooms, toast both sides of bread slices.
- Assemble your sandwich: spread the inside of each slice of bread with mushroom pâté. Layer greens, peppers and onions and top with remaining bread slice.
If you like this, try these:
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe