Mushroom Pizza Rolls
Involve the whole family in making these homemade pizza rolls. Children will enjoy witnessing the magic of bread baking as they help knead the dough and add the fillings. These rolls make a filling snack or serve them with a salad for a meal. Be sure to add some extra warmed pizza sauce on the side for dipping.
- ¾ cup water, warmed to 110-to-115 degrees F
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely diced white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons water
- Olive oil to coat bowl
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced white button mushrooms
- Olive oil to brush rolls, optional
- Pizza sauce for serving
- Stir yeast and honey into warmed water. Let sit undisturbed until yeast blooms (begins to foam and expand at the top), about 5 minutes.
- Place flour in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with dough hook attachment and stir in mushrooms and parsley.
- With mixer on low, pour in bloomed yeast and liquid. Continue to mix on medium, adding salt and garlic powder. Gradually add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms and creates a ball in the center of the mixer. It should be soft and pliable enough to handle, but not too sticky. Continue to mix for 2 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for 5 more minutes, until smooth and elastic. Roll into a ball. Coat sides of a large bowl with olive oil. Place dough in bowl, cover with a clean dish towel and let sit in a draft-free place until doubled in size, about one hour.
- Once dough has risen, punch it down and roll it out on a floured surface to approximately a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Spread pizza sauce over dough, sprinkle with cheese, then top with sliced mushrooms. Working from one long side, roll dough up into a log and tuck in each end.
- Using a serrated knife, cut log into 12 rolls. Spray 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place rolls cut side up in pan. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake rolls 24 to 25 minutes, until browned and baked through the center. Brush warm rolls with olive oil, if desired. Serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping.
Dough takes 1 hour 20 minutes to rise.
Store rolls up to four days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds or enjoy cold/room temperature.
If you like this, try these:
Shiitake mushrooms and black beans combine to make a veg-friendly, flavor-filled patty everyone will love.view Recipe
This sautéed mushroom pate from @lucimorsels is delicious on toast and so easy to make!