Mushroom-Spring Onion Dumplings with Black Vinegar-Chili Dipping SaucePrint
Mushroom-scallion Chinese dumplings are quickly pan-fried, steamed and served with spicy black vinegar dipping sauce.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 whole spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced, divided use
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock or low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot Asian chili sauce
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- half of a 12-ounce package square wonton wraps
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Asian chili sauce
- 1 whole green onion, thinly sliced
- Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely and evenly chopped. Pieces should be no more than 1/8″ in diameter.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add mushrooms and cook, untouched in a single layer, for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir and add garlic and 1 spring onion on top. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Add stock, soy sauce and chili sauce. Season with salt and pepper, stir to combine and let simmer for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Lay a wonton wrapper flat on a clean, dry surface. Place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Brush water along all four outside edges. Fold in half to form a triangle, pressing firmly around the edges to seal. Brush water on one corner of the long side of the triangle. Gather into a dumpling shape by bringing the other edge of the long side of the triangle to the water-brushed corner, pressing firmly to seal. Repeat until all of the dumplings have been filled.
- Heat canola oil in a large, non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat. When oil is nearly smoking, add dumplings in a single layer and cook for about 2 minutes, until nicely browned on the bottom. Watch closely so they do not burn. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/4 cup water, cover and steam dumplings for 4 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the dumplings begin to crisp on the bottoms once more.
- Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili sauce and green onion in a small bowl.
- Serve dumplings garnished with the remaining spring onion, alongside the vinegar-chili dipping sauce.
If you like this, try these:
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe