Mushroom Veggie ‘Meatballs’ and Zucchini PastaPrint
Your whole family will gobble up these meatballs with the fresh, raw zucchini or try them as a meatball sub on a hoagie roll.
Recipe courtesy of Carlene of Healthyful Ever After.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 ounces white button mushrooms (by weight)
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms (by weight)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup vidallia onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded and squeezed dry
- 5 drops liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- pasta sauce
- 3 small green zucchini
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat on the stove.
- While the pan is heating clean mushrooms. Chop finely. Add olive oil to the skillet and add mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally to remove liquid. This should take several minutes.
- Once the majority of the liquid has evaporated, add the butter and stir. Press mushrooms into a single layer. Allow to sear roughly 2 minutes. Stir and form another single layer, allowing to sear another two minutes. Stir and cook until gold/brown.
- Chop onions and garlic. Add to the mushroom mixture and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until the garlic becomes fragrant and the onion softens. Add liquid smoke. Grate carrots finely and place in a colander. Salt and allow to drain for 3 minutes.
- Using your hands or placing in cheese cloth, squeeze all liquid from the carrots. Fluff and add to the mushroom mixture. Using a spatula, scrape mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl, add parmesan, breadcrumbs, herbs and salt and pepper. Add eggs and mix with clean hands. The mushroom mixture should hold together when pressed. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the meatballs from the fridge and form 18 meatballs with your hands. Space evenly on the sheet and place in a 450 degree (F) oven. Cook for 10 minutes.
- In a small pot on the stove heat pasta sauce. Add meatballs. Using a vegetable peeler create zucchini ‘noodles’. Add zucchini noodles to a bowl and add sauce and meatballs. Top with additional parmesan.
If you like this, try these:
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe