Olive and Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
These stuffed mushrooms make a great starter or party snack, but they can also be paired with a salad for a filling vegetarian meal. A mix of olives and onions with a bit of hummus make up the flavorful stuffing. It’s used to fill mushrooms that are baked until tender and then finished with a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- 20 white button mushrooms (about 16 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted green olives, diced
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons hummus
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Finely chop the stems and set aside. Use 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to rub each mushroom cap. Place the mushrooms top side down in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and the chopped mushroom stems. Cook until the stems soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the green and Kalamata olives. Cook for 1 more minute. Stir in ½ of the red onion and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the hummus.
- Use a spoon to fill each mushroom cap with an equal amount of stuffing. Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle with the remaining onion, feta cheese, and parsley before serving warm.
If you like this, try these:
Portabella mushrooms transform into an easy-to-make, craveable snack with this jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN.view Recipe
Flavorful black beans, quinoa, spicy peppers and onions are stuffed into large mushroom caps to make this delicious weeknight meal.view Recipe