Portabella Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce
These portabella ‘shrooms are savory and satisfying. They make the perfect vegetarian appetizer.
- 2⅔ cups chunky peanut butter
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup lemon Juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 24 portabella mushrooms (about 2.5 ounces each)
- Vegetable oil as needed
- Cilantro and red pepper flakes, for garnish as needed
- To make peanut sauce, thoroughly combine peanut butter, coconut milk, lemon juice, honey, garlic, cumin and red pepper. Let stand at least one hour to marry flavors.
- To prepare satay, remove stem and brush each portabella cap with oil; season well with salt and pepper. Arrange on sheet pan.
- Bake at 500˚F until mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Cut one portabella cap into 3/8-inch slices; thread slices on 2 skewers. Repeat with remaining caps; reserve.
Grill 2 skewers, turning a couple of times, until tender and lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Sprinkle with coriander. Serve with ¼ cup peanut sauce on the side. Garnish with red pepper flakes if desired.
If you like this, try these:
Shiitake mushrooms and black beans combine to make a veg-friendly, flavor-filled patty everyone will love.view Recipe
This sautéed mushroom pate from @lucimorsels is delicious on toast and so easy to make!