Pot Roast with Balsamic Mushroom Gravy
Recipe courtesy of Paula Jones of bell’alimento.
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable (or canola) oil
- kosher salt/ground pepper
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pound carrots
- 8 ounces button mushrooms – quartered
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Into a large French/Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt/pepper. Sear on all sides. Add onion and cook until softened. Add vinegar and reduce by half. Combine broth and Dijon and pour over beef. Add rosemary. Cover. Transfer to oven and cook for 3 hours OR until meat is tender.
- 30 minutes prior to finishing add carrots and mushrooms to French/Dutch oven. Season with salt/pepper. Remove beef, carrots and mushrooms. Transfer to serving dish.
- Place French/Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cornstarch and whisk to combine. Cook until mixture thickens and reduces to desired gravy consistency. Check for seasoning and add if necessary.
If you like this, try these:
With meaty shiitake mushrooms, this healthy vegetarian power bowl with a tahini drizzle will give you loads of energy.view Recipe
These bowls use a blend of mushrooms and lean ground bison for a satisfying meal. Paired with grains and fresh vegetables, the dish is full of shawarma spices that are cooled by a tangy yogurt tahini sauce.view Recipe
This recipe uses a blend of lean ground turkey and white button mushrooms to create a hearty filling for tender sweet potatoes. Skip the oven and simply microwave the potatoes until tender for a quick dinner. Pair with a simple salad for a meal.view Recipe