Pot Roast with Balsamic Mushroom Gravy
Recipe courtesy of Paula Jones of bell’alimento.
- 3–4 pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable (or canola) oil
- kosher salt/ground pepper
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pound carrots
- 8 ounces button mushrooms – quartered
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Into a large French/Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt/pepper. Sear on all sides. Add onion and cook until softened. Add vinegar and reduce by half. Combine broth and Dijon and pour over beef. Add rosemary. Cover. Transfer to oven and cook for 3 hours OR until meat is tender.
- 30 minutes prior to finishing add carrots and mushrooms to French/Dutch oven. Season with salt/pepper. Remove beef, carrots and mushrooms. Transfer to serving dish.
- Place French/Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cornstarch and whisk to combine. Cook until mixture thickens and reduces to desired gravy consistency. Check for seasoning and add if necessary.
If you like this, try these:
Made with umami-rich mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes, this gnocchi recipe is a delicious and quick weeknight dinner.view Recipe
Portabella mushrooms make a delicious vegan taco filling in this recipe developed by Carlene Thomas, RD.view Recipe