Power Breakfast Bowl
Start the day strong with this savory whole grain breakfast bowl that includes sliced portabella mushrooms and a curry yogurt tahini topping. We’ve used barley, but feel free to swap it with your favorite grain such as quinoa or wild rice.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, cleaned and thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 heads baby bok choy, sliced
- 1 cup pearled barley, cooked according to package directions
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 4 large eggs, fried
- To make the topping, heat the olive oil in a medium-skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the kale and cook for 2 more minutes, until wilted. Let cool to room temperature.
- Spoon the yogurt into a small food processor or cup of a single serving blender. Add the tahini, curry powder, and salt. Add the kale and garlic. Pulse in 10 second intervals until the kale is finely chopped and all ingredients are combined. Set aside.
- Start on the breakfast bowls by heating the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and toss to cook in the oil for 5 minutes, until they become tender. Toss with the salt. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and add the bok choy to the hot skillet. Cook on medium-heat for 1 minute, until it begins to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the breakfast by adding an equal amount of barley to each of four bowls. Top with greens, sliced mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Add a large dollop of the topping and place an egg in each bowl. Serve right away.
If you like this, try these:
Rich oyster mushrooms are combined with creamy ricotta and sweet cherry tomatoes in these bite-size toasts. The microgreens sprinkled on top add a burst of refreshing lemon flavor that balances the pleasant earthiness of the mushrooms for an appetizer or snack that is both beautifully presented and delicious.view Recipe
This recipe provides a meat-free twist on the traditional Korean dish. Finely chopped enoki mushrooms absorb the sweet and savory flavors of the marinade and pair well with the combination sautéed greens and crisp fresh cucumber to create a filling meal.view Recipe