Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Baby Bella “Bacon” Bits
This recipe is unique since the bacon bits are actually crimini mushroom slices, slow-roasted until crisped, and spiced just right. The dish may just be the talk of the dinner table.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN.
- 1 1/2 pounds medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed, and halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 recipe Baby Bella Bacon Bits (see below)
Baby Bella Bacon Bits
- 2 teaspoons turbinado (raw) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, stems removed*, thinly sliced (1/8-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Toss together the Brussels sprouts, oil, vinegar, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet and arrange in a single layer, cut side up.
- Roast until well caramelized and just tender on the inside, about 25 minutes, flipping over Brussels sprouts halfway through the roasting process. If desired, sprinkle with additional extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl, sprinkle with the Baby Bella Bacon Bits, and serve immediately.
Baby Bella Bacon Bits
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Stir together the sugar, salt, paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Add the mushrooms to a medium bowl, drizzle with the oil, and toss to fully coat. Sprinkle with the seasoning mixture and toss to fully coat. Arrange in a single layer on a large nonstick baking sheet.
- Roast until reduced in size by about 50 percent and deeply caramelized, about 1 hour 15 minutes. There’s no need to stir or flip over during roasting. Scrape up mushrooms with a spatula to make sure they’re not sticking to the pan; rearrange in a single layer; turn off oven; and return to the warm oven for 45 minutes, to allow to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and cool the baby bella bacon bits on the pan on a rack to allow to further crisp, at least 15 minutes, and serve. If desired, prepare and store in the refrigerator overnight; bring to room temperature before serving.
*Save mushroom stems for other cooking purpose.
If you like this, try these:
Shiitake mushrooms and black beans combine to make a veg-friendly, flavor-filled patty everyone will love.view Recipe
This sautéed mushroom pate from @lucimorsels is delicious on toast and so easy to make!