Roasted Mushroom Parsnip Soup
Soup weather is here, meaning it’s time to get out of the cold and curl up with a big bowl (or two!). This creamy soup by Chez Us is rich, smooth, and believe it or not, doesn’t contain any dairy. It’s a great option for lunch or dinner.
Recipe courtesy of Chez Us.
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, cleaned and cut into quarters
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup leek, whites only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- sprigs of thyme
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Place the parsnips on a baking sheet, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top and toss to mix. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove the parsnips from the oven and add the mushrooms. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top, using a spoon stir to mix. Roast for 15 minutes.
- In a dutch oven heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium low heat, then add the leeks. Stir and cook until soft, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add 1 of the cloves of garlic (the smashed one). Stir.
- Then add the mushroom mixture, thyme and the stock. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a very low simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a food processor, in batches puree the mixture until smooth.
- Return to the dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper then gently reheat over very low heat.
- In a small saucepan heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium low heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms, stir and cook until lightly golden. This will take about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve place some of the soup in a soup bowl, garnish with some of the shiitake mushrooms and a sprig of thyme.
If you like this, try these:
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe