Rustic Oyster Mushroom and Potato Soup
This easy soup is loaded with hearty oyster mushrooms and filling potatoes. The broth is smooth and buttery, but not too heavy making it a great option for a light lunch. The addition of half and half adds a touch of creamy richness, but the soup is still delicious if you choose to leave it out.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 10 ounces oyster mushrooms*, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 medium potatoes)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup half and half, optional
- Chopped celery leaves or fresh parsley for garnish
- Additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until it begins to soften and brown. Add the celery and cook about 3 more minutes until it softens slightly.
- Stir in the mushrooms and continue to cook until they darken and shrink, about 3 more minutes. Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Stir in the flour to coat all the ingredients.
- Pour in the stock and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Reduce the heat to low, stir in the cream. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove from the heat and serve garnished with chopped celery leaves or fresh parsley.
*Any color of oyster mushroom will work for this recipe (gray, blue, pink, yellow).
If you like this, try these:
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe
These mushrooms get a kick of spicy flavor from homemade chili oil! They can be served over grilled steaks or roasted poultry to add earthy heat to a special dinner.view Recipe