Sausage & Mushroom Stuffing
This sausage and mushroom stuffing is the perfect addition to a casual weeknight meal or a fancy holiday dinner.
Create A List
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 portabella cap
- 1 large or 2–3 small shiitake caps
- 3 shallots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the broiler to high. Place the bread on a large, rimmed baking sheet and broil 3-4 minutes or until the bread is golden. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the mushroom caps in a food processor and pulse to break the mushrooms until it resembles the ground Italian sausage.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrot and shallots. Cook 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add the sausage and cook until brown, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Add the raisins and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour 1/4 cup stock into the skillet, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a large bowl. Add the chicken stock, thyme and bread. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Pour the stuffing into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle the stuffing with fresh parsley.