Shiitake Mushroom and Smoked Tofu Stir Fry
This stir fry is loaded with fresh vegetables. A hint of orange and honey add a pleasant balance to the soy sauce. Earthy shiitake mushrooms and smoked tofu finish off the dish with deep, rich flavors. Any variety of firm tofu can be substituted or you can cut it out all together and add another variety of mushrooms such as crimini or white button.
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- Juice from a medium orange (about ¼ cup)
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or other cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup pea pods
- 7 to 8 ounces smoked tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- Fine sea salt or soy sauce to taste
- Whisk together the soy sauce, orange zest, orange juice, and honey in a small dish. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute, just until it beings to soften. Add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes, until it turns bright green.
- Stir in the mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell pepper, carrots, and pea pods. Cook 1 more minute. The vegetables should brighten, but still be crisp.
- Pour the orange dressing over the vegetables and stir to mix well. Gently toss in the tofu. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Divide the rice into 4 portions. Top each with an equal amount of vegetables and tofu. Add the salt or soy sauce to taste, if desired.
For a gluten-free version, use Tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
If you like this, try these:
With meaty shiitake mushrooms, this healthy vegetarian power bowl with a tahini drizzle will give you loads of energy.view Recipe
Rich oyster mushrooms are combined with creamy ricotta and sweet cherry tomatoes in these bite-size toasts. The microgreens sprinkled on top add a burst of refreshing lemon flavor that balances the pleasant earthiness of the mushrooms for an appetizer or snack that is both beautifully presented and delicious.view Recipe