‘Shrooms on Weck
Registered Dietitian Recipe
“Beef on Weck” is a popular sandwich made famous in Buffalo, New York, and it features Kummelweck Rolls which are freshly baked rolls seasoned with caraway seeds and flaked salt. This is an “easy-to-make” lighter and meatless rendition of this sandwich using whole grain rolls or buns from your supermarket.
Create A List
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 4 whole grain dinner rolls (or small buns), cut in half
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice (or similar)
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked salt (or kosher salt)
- 1/4 cup amber ale (or any type of beer)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (steak sauce can be used)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 portabella mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 large slices tomato
- 4 slices white sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup crispy onion strings (optional)
- Preheat toaster oven or oven to 300 F. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Brush the cut side of the rolls with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and place them cut side down on the prepared baking pan. Brush the tops with pickle juice then sprinkle the tops with caraway seeds and flaked salt. Bake about 10 minutes until nice and toasty.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, beer, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, garlic and pepper to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk together. Add the mushroom slices to the bowl with the marinade and gently toss to coat the mushroom slices completely.
- Once the rolls are nicely toasted, remove them to serving plates and increase the temperature to 400 F. Spread the mushroom slices evenly on the same sheet pan and drizzle any remaining marinade evenly over the mushroom slices. Bake until the mushrooms are nicely browned and most of the liquid has evaporated (about 20 to 25 minutes). Remove pan from the oven and turn toaster oven to BROIL.
- On a new sheet pan, place the bottom halves of the rolls cut side up. In this order, top each roll with a slice of tomato, mushroom slices, slice of cheese and broil briefly to melt the cheese. Top each with crispy onions, if desired, and add the top rolls.
- Serving Size: One Sandwich
- Calories: 218
- Sodium: 611 mg
- Fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg