Slow Cooker Barbecue Mushrooms
These barbecue mushrooms make a great meat-free option for game day parties and holiday cocktail mixers. Slow cooked in a simple homemade sauce, they are equally as delicious as similar appetizers made with meatballs or sausages, but they pack less saturated fat, sodium, and processed sugar.
Shop for Ingredients
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms
- one 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives for garnish
- Place the mushrooms in the bowl of a slow cooker. Whisk together the tomato sauce, molasses, and honey in medium bowl. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, mustard, smoked paprika salt, and pepper. Add the cayenne based on your preferences. A ½ teaspoon will give a moderately spicy flavor to the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the mushrooms and stir. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir occasionally as the mushrooms cook. The sauce will thicken and the mushrooms will shrink slightly and darken as they become tender.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a serving bowl. Top with some of the sauce. Sprinkle with chives and serve warm with toothpicks.
Did you make this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us — we can’t wait to see what you’ve made!