Spinach Polenta with Mushrooms, Leek and Poached EggPrint
This rich and flavorful polenta dish is perfect for a weekend brunch or weeknight meal. Creamy polenta is elevated with the addition of umami-rich mushrooms. A poached egg on top completes the dish and adds another layer of texture.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mixed mushrooms (portabella, shiitake, oyster), coarsely chopped
- 1 large leek (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, rinse and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- water for poaching
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- fresh chopped chives
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Stir in chopped spinach. Slowly add polenta while whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until polenta is smooth, 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cook polenta 25-30 minutes. Whisk often. Remove from heat and add butter. Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add leek and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and butter, heat until butter is melted. Add white wine vinegar and stir until the liquid evaporates, about 2-3 minutes. Set mushrooms aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 inches of water and a splash of white vinegar to a simmer over medium-low heat. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl. Gently stir the water in a circle and then gently slip egg into water. Poach about 3-4 minutes, then remove egg with slotted spoon and pat dry. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- To assemble, spoon polenta into bowl, top with mushroom & leek mixture and then poached egg. Add option garnishes.
If you like this, try these:
Portabella mushrooms transform into an easy-to-make, craveable snack with this jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN.view Recipe
Flavorful black beans, quinoa, spicy peppers and onions are stuffed into large mushroom caps to make this delicious weeknight meal.view Recipe