Spring Mushroom Galette
A recipe for a springtime mushroom galette that is too pretty not to be shared with guests over a weekend brunch!
Recipe courtesy of Chez Us.
Create A List
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely minced
- 1 small fennel, fonds removed and white bulb thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, cleaned, stem removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, cleaned, stem removed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- Place the flour, 1 tablespoon of thyme, salt and butter in a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Drizzle in the ice water until the dough comes together. Knead the dough with your hands to form a large disk. Wrap in parchment paper and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large frying pan add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan, stir and cook until soft. Add the garlic and thyme, then stir, and add the fennel. Cook over medium heat until lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the mushrooms, stir and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes. Stir in the Dijon, then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Lightly flour the counter top, then roll out the dough into a large circle, about 14″ – 16″ and 1/8″ thick. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Place the mushroom filling over the dough, leaving about 1/2″ border. Bring the edges of the dough up and over the filling, overlapping where need be.
- Mix the egg with the 1 tablespoon water, using a pastry brush lightly brush the edges of the dough. Bake the galette for 35 – 45 minutes, until the dough is golden brown. Remove from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Toss the parsley and chives together, then scatter over the galette just before serving.