Teriyaki Portabella Mushroom KabobsPrint
Combine tangy teriyaki sauce, sweet, juice pineapples and meaty mushrooms in this delicious meatless kabob recipe – perfect for an afternoon of backyard entertaining.
Recipe courtesy of Denise of Chez Us.
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 large red onion
- olive oil
- Teriyaki sauce:
Place the brown sugar, mirin and soy sauce in a small saucepan and place over medium heat, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. This will take 40 – 50 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sesame oil, and then let cool.
Core the pineapple and onion into even sized cubes. Using a paper towel or mushroom brush remove any dirt from the mushrooms. Remove the stem, and then cut into quarters. Evenly skewer the mushrooms, pineapple and onions.
- Preheat the grill to 400.
- Lightly spray or drizzle olive oil on each skewer, then place on the grill. Baste with some of the teriyaki sauce. Grill until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Turn over the kabob, baste with more teriyaki and grill another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms and onions are cooked throughout and the pineapple is caramelized. Serve.
If you like this, try these:
Shiitake mushrooms and black beans combine to make a veg-friendly, flavor-filled patty everyone will love.view Recipe
This sautéed mushroom pate from @lucimorsels is delicious on toast and so easy to make!