Teriyaki Portabella Mushroom KabobsPrint
Combine tangy teriyaki sauce, sweet, juice pineapples and meaty mushrooms in this delicious meatless kabob recipe – perfect for an afternoon of backyard entertaining.
Recipe courtesy of Denise of Chez Us.
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 large red onion
- olive oil
- Teriyaki sauce:
Place the brown sugar, mirin and soy sauce in a small saucepan and place over medium heat, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. This will take 40 – 50 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sesame oil, and then let cool.
Core the pineapple and onion into even sized cubes. Using a paper towel or mushroom brush remove any dirt from the mushrooms. Remove the stem, and then cut into quarters. Evenly skewer the mushrooms, pineapple and onions.
- Preheat the grill to 400.
- Lightly spray or drizzle olive oil on each skewer, then place on the grill. Baste with some of the teriyaki sauce. Grill until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Turn over the kabob, baste with more teriyaki and grill another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms and onions are cooked throughout and the pineapple is caramelized. Serve.
If you like this, try these:
Portabella mushrooms transform into an easy-to-make, craveable snack with this jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN.view Recipe
Flavorful black beans, quinoa, spicy peppers and onions are stuffed into large mushroom caps to make this delicious weeknight meal.view Recipe